Mar 10, 2012

Read a Kindle book without a Kindle

"I'd love to read your book but I don't have a Kindle."

I don’t own a Kindle either. You don’t need one to read Kindle books. That’s actually why I choose the Kindle format when I started buying ebooks instead of the hardcovers and paperbacks that were bursting out of every available shelf. It’s a brilliant market choice by Amazon, one that’s good for readers as well as the company.

Right now, I read Kindle ebooks on my laptop and two IOS devices, an iPod touch and an iPad. If I ever switch to an Android phone or a Windows computer, I’ll still be able to read the ebooks I’ve purchased from Amazon.

Amazon offers free apps for a variety of computers and mobile devices, including PC and Mac computers, Apple’s iPad or iPod touch, Android phones and tablets, Blackberries and Windows 7 phones.

If you’re running a supported web browser (Firefox 6+, Chrome 11+ or Safari 5+ at the moment), you don’t even need to download one of the free apps. You can read Kindle books in the cloud with the free Kindle Cloud Reader.

Sure, in an ideal world, we wouldn’t have to worry about ebook formats and whether today’s purchase will still be readable on other devices in the future. This isn’t an ideal world.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed the book. I had posted earlier but it did not get transmitted. You really were able to capture the "flavor" of small town New England.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love comments. I also moderate them because I don't love spam. Please be patient if your comment doesn't appear immediately.